Will You Smile At Me And Never Let Me Go?


A long time ago I walked into a bar
And bought a girl a drink.
Oh How beautiful she was.
She was beyond my expectations
Beyond my wildest dreams,
Yet she smiled, and held my hand,
And never once put me down.
A once shy teenager was transformed.
Conversation flowed
In the company of intoxicating bliss.
No longer was I insecure
As her eyes approved of the man I had become.
Give me your number she asked
As I melted in anticipation
I’ll be waiting for your call
Good night, thank you Goddess
Until we meet again.

The next time I saw her she looked different.
Her face changed, her body changed
Her eyes now blue when previously brown.
She was no longer from Brazil,
But from Argentina.
No longer was she a single mom,
But was now years younger
Had no children,
And was working her way through school.
How could this be? I ask myself.
How could this be?

As the years passed
Her face in wrinkles
Her hair in shades of gray
Her body afflicted by gravity,
The years apparently had taken their toll.
But the following week
As I walked into the bar
There she was again,
Young and beautiful
She was a site to see.
How could this be? I ask myself.
How could this be?

Why does it matter?
I don’t want to know.
I don’t want to know the truth.
As her body gently dances
To the rhythm of my twisted perspective
Money flying through the air
The fog of male hormones clouds my vision
As corona and lime
Rushes through my empty veins
I forget, for a brief moment I forget,
I forget the void inside my heart,
I forget the blood
That has long since left me
I forget I am a teenager
Who walked into a bar and never left.

As my brain fills with blood of golden lime
My mind slowly fading
My shyness slowly disappears
Can I buy you a drink? I ask.
Can I hold your hand until the pain goes away?
Can I imagine my life any other way?
Will you smile at me and never let me go?


David Yanez
1-29-08


Copyright 2009 David Yanez. All Rights Reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

No comments:

Post a Comment